Free product roadmap templates
Hundreds of strategy and roadmap views are available in Aha! as part of your 30-day free trial.
Roadmap templates make it easy to capture and communicate your product plans. And they can save you a lot of time. There is no need to spend countless hours creating a roadmap framework when you can download a pre-built example right now and get going quickly.
The free Excel and PowerPoint templates provided here are a great starting point. You can choose from a wide range of examples and tailor each roadmap to your specific needs. If you want to collaborate with colleagues on your roadmaps in real time, we encourage you to give Aha! a try. Our free 30-day trial includes hundreds of additional strategy and roadmap views.
What is a product roadmap?
A roadmap is a plan for how your product is going to meet a set of business objectives. The roadmap details where your product is headed and the work that is required to get there. It is used to communicate the product direction and progress to internal teams and external stakeholders. Roadmaps also allow product teams to asses new requests for functionality against what is already planned.
What are the types of product roadmaps?
This guide includes 16 product roadmap templates. When considering which template to use, it is important to think about who the roadmap is for and how it will be used. You can download each one for free and customize it to fit your specific needs.
Portfolio roadmap templates
Use these roadmaps if you are managing multiple products. They are perfect for displaying your planned releases for multiple products in a single view. They are useful, for example, when you need to provide a strategic overview of your plan to executives or advisory boards. They also help internal teams understand how their specific plans relate to the plans of other teams.
This roadmap shows the timeline of releases for each product. You can expand each section to see how releases relate to key product initiatives.
This roadmap shows a high-level overview of releases for multiple products in your portfolio.
Goals roadmap templates
Use these roadmaps to visualize your high-level business goals. They are ideal for sharing an overview of your strategic goals and when you will achieve them — all in a single view. They are useful when you need to gain alignment with executives around your product strategy and to provide status updates. You can also use them to communicate the big-picture context of what needs to be accomplished with internal teams.
This roadmap shows the timeline for working on and completing your goals. You can track the status of each goal by changing the color of the bar.
This roadmap shows how product releases relate to a shared set of goals across multiple products.
Initiatives roadmap templates
Use these roadmaps to represent your strategic product initiatives. They are great for displaying the high-level efforts that you need to complete to achieve your goals. Use them when you need to present your planned initiatives to executives and other stakeholders and to provide progress updates. They also help internal teams understand how releases contribute to the overall business strategy and drive the product forward.
This roadmap shows the timeline for achieving initiatives and how they relate to high-level goals. You can track the status of each initiative by changing the color of the bar.
This roadmap shows how product releases relate to strategic initiatives across multiple products.
Releases roadmap templates
Use these templates to plan your product releases. They are perfect for displaying the key activities, such as phases and tasks that need to happen to bring your release to market. These templates are also great for communicating the key features that will be delivered. Use them when you need to coordinate release activities with other teams, such as marketing, sales, and customer support. They align everyone around what is coming, what needs to be done, and when.
This roadmap uses a Gantt chart to show the key phases and tasks that make up the overall release plan. You can track the status of each task by changing the color of the bar.
This roadmap shows upcoming releases, planned delivery dates, and the important features that will be included.
Epics roadmap templates
These templates use epics to represent large efforts of work that typically cannot be delivered in a single release. They are perfect for displaying important new functionality that will be implemented to achieve the goals. They are useful when you need to communicate key areas of focus with executives and other stakeholders. They also help to guide backlog prioritization decisions by ensuring that upcoming features (or user stories) relate to overarching epics.
This roadmap shows the timeline for implementing planned epics. You can track the status of each epic by changing the color of the bar. You can also overlay releases onto each epic to show how it will be incrementally delivered.
This roadmap shows a high-level overview of the epics that will be completed each quarter, but you could easily change the time frame to meet your needs.
Features roadmap templates
Use these roadmaps to show the timeline for delivering new features. They are great for displaying when features of strategic importance will be completed within three to four months. They are useful when you need to provide more details about what is coming to internal teams, such as marketing, sales, and customer support. For teams that follow a continuous deployment approach, they are helpful for communicating near-term product plans.
This roadmap shows the timeline for implementing features over a three-month period. You can track the status of each feature by changing the color of the bar.
This roadmap shows the key features that will be delivered each month. It is similar to the epics roadmap.
Agile roadmap template
Use this roadmap if you are an agile team that needs to communicate a high-level product strategy. It is great for displaying how epics align with strategic themes. This is useful when you want to align executives and stakeholders on the direction of the product. It also helps the engineering team understand how their daily work relates to the big-picture plan.
Scrum roadmap template
Use this roadmap if your engineering team follows the scrum methodology. It is perfect for displaying how user stories fit within upcoming sprints or iterations. It is useful when you need to share progress updates with internal teams. It also helps to communicate when new working software will be shown in sprint demos.
Kanban roadmap template
Use this roadmap if your team follows the kanban methodology. It shows the features that were recently completed, currently in progress, coming soon, or further out in the future. It is useful when you need to set expectations with executives, stakeholders, and internal teams without committing to a specific time frame. You can change the color of the features to group them by initiative or strategic theme.
Scaled Agile Framework® (SAFe) roadmap
Use this roadmap if your organization implements SAFe. It helps you visualize your Program Increment (PI) milestones and objectives over a six-month time frame. It is useful when you need to give executives visibility into the deliverables of the current PI and to forecast upcoming PIs. It also helps to ensure that near-term plans align with overall business priorities before PIs are committed.
Aha! is a trademark of Aha! Labs Inc. All other company and product names may be trademarks of the respective companies with which they are associated.
- Introduction to product management
- What is the role of a product manager?
- What is a product?
- Which tools do product managers use?
- What skills are required to be a product manager
- What makes up the product team?
- What are some product management job titles?
- What is a typical product manager salary?
- How do product managers work with other teams?
- What does a product manager do each day?
- How can I learn to be a product manager?
- How do I choose the best product management certification?
- What are some interview questions for product managers?
- What is user experience design?
- How should product managers use wireframes?
- What is the difference: Wireframe vs. Mockup vs. Prototype?
- Introduction to product strategy
- What is product vision?
- What are product goals and initiatives?
- What is product positioning?
- What is product differentiation?
- How should I price my product?
- How should product managers research competitors?
- How should product managers define customer personas?
- What are some examples of a business model?
- What is enterprise transformation?
- What is digital transformation?
- What are the types of business transformation?
- What is the role of product management in enterprise transformation?
- What is customer experience?
- Introduction to product roadmaps
- What is a product roadmap?
- How do product roadmap tools work?
- What is a product portfolio roadmap?
- How do product managers build an agile roadmap?
- What product roadmap presentation templates do product managers use?
- How do product managers build the right roadmap?
- How to report on progress against your product roadmap?
- How do product managers build a roadmap for a new product?
- Introduction to product development methodologies
- What is product development?
- What is agile product management?
- What is the role of a product manager in scrum?
- What is a scrum master?
- What is kanban?
- What is waterfall?
- What is the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe®)?
- What is the role of a product manager in SAFe®?
- What is agile development?
- Introduction to release management
- What are product features?
- What is requirements management?
- What is a product backlog?
- How do product managers prioritize features?
- What is user story mapping?
- How do product managers plan releases across teams?
- What is a sprint?
- What is the difference between a product, release, and sprint backlog?
- What is a good product launch checklist?
- Introduction to product management templates
- Product roadmap templates
- SWOT analysis templates
- Product positioning templates
- Business plan templates
- Competitor analysis templates
- Gantt chart templates
- Product requirements document template
- User story template
- Product manager resume templates
- Market requirements document template