Build an actionable business model with a template designed for entrepreneurs and startups.Use template
About the lean canvas template
Crafting a business model is part of establishing a meaningful business and product strategy. A business model is essentially a hypothesis — you need to define and then test it to prove that it will actually provide value.
This lean canvas template is similar to our core business model template — it presents most of the same information in a slightly different way. It takes a problem-focused approach and was designed with entrepreneurs and startups in mind. This means that it is a great way to deconstruct an idea into its key assumptions and build an actionable plan forward.
After you have completed the exercise, make the model accessible to the team so that everyone understands your approach. The concise format also makes it a good addition to any presentation.
Quickly formulate possible business models to assess the viability of an idea and create an actionable plan.
Choose an idea
Identify a problem you want to solve and fill in each section of the template. Articulate your solution, define potential customers, and assess existing alternatives to ensure your product will satisfy a market need.
Define metrics for success
Establish the metrics you will track to measure the progress of your business — factoring in revenue streams and costs. This helps you quickly assess the business opportunity behind your idea.
Share your approach
When your lean canvas is ready, gather input from others. Questioning your assumptions and poking holes in your business model early in the planning process is key to validating your hypothesis.
Adapt as you go
Update your lean canvas as your learn more about the needs of your potential customers and shape the vision of your solution. Keeping an open mind is essential to ensuring a winning outcome.
- What is a business model?
- What is customer experience?
- What is the Complete Product Experience (CPE)?
- What is a customer journey map?
- What is product-led growth?
- What are the types of business transformation?
- What is enterprise transformation?
- What is digital transformation?
- What is the role of product management in enterprise transformation?
- What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)?
- What is a Minimum Lovable Product (MLP)?
- What is product vision?
- How to set product strategy
- What is product-market fit?
- What is product differentiation?
- How to position your product
- How to price your product
- What are product goals and initiatives?
- How to set product goals
- How to set product initiatives
- What is product value?
- What is value-based product development?
- 10Ps marketing matrix
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Business model
- Customer journey map
- Lean canvas
- Porter's 5 forces
- Segment profile
- Strategic roadmap
- SWOT analysis
- Collections: Business model
- Collections: SWOT
- Collections: Objectives and key results (OKR)
- Collections: Product positioning
- Collections: Market positioning
- Collections: Marketing strategy
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Kanban board
- Feature requirement
- Market requirements document (MRD)
- PI board
- Pros and cons
- Release roadmap
- ROAM board
- User story map
- Collections: Product development process
- Collections: MRD
- Collections: PRD
- Collections: Gantt chart
- Collections: User story and mapping
- Collections: Feature definition checklist
- Common product development methodologies
- Common agile development methodologies
- What is agile product management?
- What is agile software development?
- What is waterfall product management?
- What is agile transformation?
- Agile vs. lean
- Agile vs. waterfall
- What is an agile roadmap?
- What is an agile retrospective?
- Best practices of agile development teams
- What is a burndown chart?
- What is issue tracking?
- Introduction to agile metrics
- Agile glossary
- What is scrum?
- What are scrum roles?
- What is a scrum master?
- What is the role of a product manager in scrum?
- What is a sprint?
- What is a sprint planning meeting?
- What is a daily standup?
- What is a sprint review?
- Product release vs. sprint in scrum
- Themes, epics, stories, and tasks
- How to implement scrum
- How to choose a scrum certification
- What is a product?
- What is product development?
- What is product management?
- What is portfolio product management?
- What is product operations?
- What are the stages of product development?
- What is the product lifecycle?
- What is a product management maturity model?
- What is product development software?
- Why product teams need virtual whiteboarding software
- Introduction to marketing
- What are some marketing job titles?
- What is the role of a marketing manager?
- What is the role of a product marketing manager?
- How are marketing teams organized?
- Which tools do marketers use?
- Interview questions for marketing managers
- Typical salary for marketing managers
- How to make a career switch into marketing