Record insights and identify common themes in customer interviewsUse template
About the customer interview template
You want to truly understand your customers and the challenges they face. When customers know that you care about what they have to say, they are more likely to feel invested in your product and be willing to help you improve it.
Customer interviews are a great way to build relationships, develop empathy, and determine what customers actually need. Now you have a central place to document the details of those conversations.
Use this note template to gather thoughts and questions leading up to the interview — then record the customer's answers in their own words. The template comes with six starter questions and you can find 35+ more in our guide on customer feedback.
Give customers the opportunity to participate in your product development process.
Outline your research goals and determine what it is you really want to learn. For example, your objective could be to understand your customers' business goals or evaluate their experience with a specific feature set.
Create a discussion guide
Use the questions in the template as a starting point — customizing them to match your objectives. You can always ask follow-up questions during the conversation to deepen your understanding. Record answers as you go.
Keep track of takeaways and action items
Try running your raw notes through our AI writing assistant to summarize the main points. Share your findings with the team and add the best ideas directly to your product roadmap.
- What is a business model?
- What is customer experience?
- What is the Complete Product Experience (CPE)?
- What is a customer journey map?
- What is product-led growth?
- What are the types of business transformation?
- What is enterprise transformation?
- What is digital transformation?
- What is the role of product management in enterprise transformation?
- What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)?
- What is a Minimum Lovable Product (MLP)?
- What is product vision?
- How to set product strategy
- What is product-market fit?
- What is product differentiation?
- How to position your product
- How to price your product
- What are product goals and initiatives?
- How to set product goals
- How to set product initiatives
- What is product value?
- What is value-based product development?
- 10Ps marketing matrix
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Business model
- Customer journey map
- Lean canvas
- Porter's 5 forces
- Segment profile
- Strategic roadmap
- SWOT analysis
- Collections: Business model
- Collections: SWOT
- Collections: Objectives and key results (OKR)
- Collections: Product positioning
- Collections: Market positioning
- Collections: Marketing strategy
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Kanban board
- Feature requirement
- Market requirements document (MRD)
- PI board
- Pros and cons
- Release roadmap
- ROAM board
- User story map
- Collections: Product development process
- Collections: MRD
- Collections: PRD
- Collections: Gantt chart
- Collections: User story and mapping
- Collections: Feature definition checklist
- Common product development methodologies
- Common agile development methodologies
- What is agile product management?
- What is agile software development?
- What is waterfall product management?
- What is agile transformation?
- Agile vs. lean
- Agile vs. waterfall
- What is an agile roadmap?
- What is an agile retrospective?
- Best practices of agile development teams
- What is a burndown chart?
- What is issue tracking?
- Introduction to agile metrics
- Agile glossary
- What is scrum?
- What are scrum roles?
- What is a scrum master?
- What is the role of a product manager in scrum?
- What is a sprint?
- What is a sprint planning meeting?
- What is a daily standup?
- What is a sprint review?
- Product release vs. sprint in scrum
- Themes, epics, stories, and tasks
- How to implement scrum
- How to choose a scrum certification
- What is a product?
- What is product development?
- What is product management?
- What is portfolio product management?
- What is product operations?
- What are the stages of product development?
- What is the product lifecycle?
- What is a product management maturity model?
- What is product development software?
- Why product teams need virtual whiteboarding software
- Introduction to marketing
- What are some marketing job titles?
- What is the role of a marketing manager?
- What is the role of a product marketing manager?
- How are marketing teams organized?
- Which tools do marketers use?
- Interview questions for marketing managers
- Typical salary for marketing managers
- How to make a career switch into marketing