Do some homework so you can approach your interview with confidenceUse template
You landed a product manager interview — congratulations! Now it is time to prepare and think about how you will articulate how your skills and experience align with the role.
Use this template to get ready. It includes some of the most common questions asked during a behavioral-style interview. These type of interviews tend to cover similar themes like your general background, past experience, and cross-functional leadership skills.
Remember that an interview goes two ways. It is as much about evaluating the company, team, and position as it is about showing you are the right person for the job. This is your opportunity to learn all you need, so you can decide whether or not to accept an offer.
Show how your interests and past product management experience will translate into a new position.
Research the company and position
Start by researching the company, their product or portfolio, and the people you will be speaking to during the interview process. Their website, blog, and support channels are great places to look.
Align your interests and experience
Closely examine the job description of the role you applied for — consider which of your skills and experiences are the most relevant. That way you can anticipate the questions you may be asked and have ideas ready to go.
Prep your answers
The template includes more than 45 common questions asked during PM interviews. But what works on paper does not always hold up when spoken. It is a good idea to practice out loud — ideally with a friend or colleague.
Come with questions to ask your interviewers about company leadership, team processes, and culture. Their responses can clue you in to whether there is mutual alignment.
- What is a business model?
- What is customer experience?
- What is the Complete Product Experience (CPE)?
- What is a customer journey map?
- What is product-led growth?
- What are the types of business transformation?
- What is enterprise transformation?
- What is digital transformation?
- What is the role of product management in enterprise transformation?
- What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)?
- What is a Minimum Lovable Product (MLP)?
- What is product vision?
- How to set product strategy
- What is product-market fit?
- What is product differentiation?
- How to position your product
- How to price your product
- What are product goals and initiatives?
- How to set product goals
- How to set product initiatives
- What is product value?
- What is value-based product development?
- 10Ps marketing matrix
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Business model
- Customer journey map
- Lean canvas
- Porter's 5 forces
- Segment profile
- Strategic roadmap
- SWOT analysis
- Collections: Business model
- Collections: SWOT
- Collections: Objectives and key results (OKR)
- Collections: Product positioning
- Collections: Market positioning
- Collections: Marketing strategy
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Kanban board
- Feature requirement
- Market requirements document (MRD)
- PI board
- Pros and cons
- Release roadmap
- ROAM board
- User story map
- Collections: Product development process
- Collections: MRD
- Collections: PRD
- Collections: Gantt chart
- Collections: User story and mapping
- Collections: Feature definition checklist
- Common product development methodologies
- Common agile development methodologies
- What is agile product management?
- What is agile software development?
- What is waterfall product management?
- What is agile transformation?
- Agile vs. lean
- Agile vs. waterfall
- What is an agile roadmap?
- What is an agile retrospective?
- Best practices of agile development teams
- What is a burndown chart?
- What is issue tracking?
- Introduction to agile metrics
- Agile glossary
- What is scrum?
- What are scrum roles?
- What is a scrum master?
- What is the role of a product manager in scrum?
- What is a sprint?
- What is a sprint planning meeting?
- What is a daily standup?
- What is a sprint review?
- Product release vs. sprint in scrum
- Themes, epics, stories, and tasks
- How to implement scrum
- How to choose a scrum certification
- What is a product?
- What is product development?
- What is product management?
- What is portfolio product management?
- What is product operations?
- What are the stages of product development?
- What is the product lifecycle?
- What is a product management maturity model?
- What is product development software?
- Why product teams need virtual whiteboarding software
- Introduction to marketing
- What are some marketing job titles?
- What is the role of a marketing manager?
- What is the role of a product marketing manager?
- How are marketing teams organized?
- Which tools do marketers use?
- Interview questions for marketing managers
- Typical salary for marketing managers
- How to make a career switch into marketing