Product requirements document
Communicate what you are building, who it is for, and how it will deliver value to customersUse template
About the PRD template
Fast-moving agile teams do not want to be bogged down by creating (and continuously updating) lengthy PRDs. But there are still plenty of scenarios where a PRD is imperative — to help align the team around what the product should do.
This PRD template is an editable note-style format with sections for product requirements, release requirements, epic requirements, and feature requirements. Use it to capture details that cross-functional teams need to complete their work. Clear documentation can ensure that expectations are met and the scope of work is understood.
Modify the template to reflect the unique details of your product or company. Think beyond "requirements" and provide the team with any information that will help them get to the core of what customers really need.
Define what will be delivered in a new product, release, or feature set.
Choose your format
Start with the table that fits your needs best — product requirements, release requirements, epic requirements, or feature requirements. Outline the high-level direction and include objectives, assumptions, scope, and ownership.
Layer in more specific details
Consider what cross-functional teammates need to do their jobs well. Add timing, milestones, and dependencies. Eliminate rows that may not be relevant to your plans.
Invite collaborators to the note
Rather than prescribe exact product functionality and interactions, the goal is to inspire teammates with enough information to create elegant solutions. Ask the team to add comments, links, and questions directly in the note.
Build out your plans
Update your PRD to track status as work gets underway. Or try Aha! Roadmaps to move seamlessly from planning to implementation.
- What is a business model?
- What is customer experience?
- What is the Complete Product Experience (CPE)?
- What is a customer journey map?
- What is product-led growth?
- What are the types of business transformation?
- What is enterprise transformation?
- What is digital transformation?
- What is the role of product management in enterprise transformation?
- What is a Minimum Viable Product (MVP)?
- What is a Minimum Lovable Product (MLP)?
- What is product vision?
- How to set product strategy
- What is product-market fit?
- What is product differentiation?
- How to position your product
- How to price your product
- What are product goals and initiatives?
- How to set product goals
- How to set product initiatives
- What is product value?
- What is value-based product development?
- 10Ps marketing matrix
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Business model
- Customer journey map
- Lean canvas
- Porter's 5 forces
- Segment profile
- Strategic roadmap
- SWOT analysis
- Collections: Business model
- Collections: SWOT
- Collections: Objectives and key results (OKR)
- Collections: Product positioning
- Collections: Market positioning
- Collections: Marketing strategy
- 2x2 prioritization matrix
- Kanban board
- Feature requirement
- Market requirements document (MRD)
- PI board
- Pros and cons
- Release roadmap
- ROAM board
- User story map
- Collections: Product development process
- Collections: MRD
- Collections: PRD
- Collections: Gantt chart
- Collections: User story and mapping
- Collections: Feature definition checklist
- Common product development methodologies
- Common agile development methodologies
- What is agile product management?
- What is agile software development?
- What is waterfall product management?
- What is agile transformation?
- Agile vs. lean
- Agile vs. waterfall
- What is an agile roadmap?
- What is an agile retrospective?
- Best practices of agile development teams
- What is a burndown chart?
- What is issue tracking?
- Introduction to agile metrics
- Agile glossary
- What is scrum?
- What are scrum roles?
- What is a scrum master?
- What is the role of a product manager in scrum?
- What is a sprint?
- What is a sprint planning meeting?
- What is a daily standup?
- What is a sprint review?
- Product release vs. sprint in scrum
- Themes, epics, stories, and tasks
- How to implement scrum
- How to choose a scrum certification
- What is a product?
- What is product development?
- What is product management?
- What is portfolio product management?
- What is product operations?
- What are the stages of product development?
- What is the product lifecycle?
- What is a product management maturity model?
- What is product development software?
- Why product teams need virtual whiteboarding software
- Introduction to marketing
- What are some marketing job titles?
- What is the role of a marketing manager?
- What is the role of a product marketing manager?
- How are marketing teams organized?
- Which tools do marketers use?
- Interview questions for marketing managers
- Typical salary for marketing managers
- How to make a career switch into marketing