Integrate Aha! With Google Hangouts Chat
Hangouts Chat helps teams collaborate through 1:1 chat and in dedicated groups called rooms. As cross-functional teams collaborate within a room, they need to receive key product updates as they happen. The Aha! integration for Hangouts Chat allows you to send customized product updates directly to a room in real time.
You can create Hangouts Chat integrations in Aha! at the account or product level. In the set-up process, you can choose what data is sent from Aha! to Hangouts Chat. All Aha! activity is held for five minutes before posting to Hangouts Chat to keep communication concise and avoid excessive messaging when an Aha! user is performing multiple edits at once.
We recommend setting a specific activity stream for each record type. This keeps Aha! updates organized while still keeping everyone informed of the things they care about — such as when your biggest customer submits a request or a release ships.
You need an Aha! account and a G Suite account to create this integration.
Create a webhook in Google Hangouts:
- Open your room in Hangouts Chat, create a new room or select an existing one, and then click on the room name at the top to expand the room menu.
- Click Configure webhooks, then in the modal that appears, click Add webhook.
- Name your webhook (e.g., Aha! product updates).
- Enter https://www.aha.io/aha_square_300.png into the Avatar URL field.
- Save the webhook.
- Copy the webhook URL.
Create the integration in Aha!:
- In your Aha! account, go to Settings > Account > Integrations and add Google Hangouts Chat at the account level to send updates for all products. If you only want updates for a specific product, add the integration at the product level by going to Settings > Product > Integrations and add Google Hangouts Chat.
- Enter the URL you copied from the above steps into the Webhook URL field.
- Click the Test connection button. After a short delay, you should see a message appear in the Google Hangouts Chat room you copied the webhook from.
- Select the activities that you want to appear in your Google Hangouts Chat room.
- Enable the integration.
- Consider renaming this integration with your Google Hangouts Chat room name for easy future reference. Perhaps something like: "Google Hangouts: #customers." You can do this by clicking the Google Hangouts Chat text in the heading of this page.